Samsung Droid Charge Blue Screen of Weird: First-hand experience

Photo The Samsung Droid Charge is a high-end smartphone on Verizon's 3G and 4G network. However, high-end smartphones don't always perform the greatest, whether it's from a performance point of view or from one of hardware.

Since it is such a big device from Verizon and I'm absolutely addicted to my position here at Pocketables, I took it on my vacation this weekend to a hotel in a city about an hour away. While that doesn't really matter, it shows that bad things can happen anywhere you are. I was laying in the bed and checking my email on my iPhone. I decided to play Angry Birds on the Charge just to see the intense colors of the Super AMOLED Plus display.

Upon turning the screen on, I saw that ugly bluish tint. I freaked out and turned the screen back off. About five minutes later, I thought it would be a good idea to make sure I didn't wreck another phone. When I did that, the device was totally fine, and I proceeded to get back my green eggs and kill some ham.

Later that night, the same thing happened. A few locks and unlocks later, boom. And then it repeated itself once every two times I locked and unlocked device. It still does it, too. I have no idea why. I have used AMOLED displays in the past that didn't do anything even remotely close to this, so you can imagine my surprise when I saw it occur on the Charge.

Phot1oHere's what it normally looks like so you don't think I'm pulling your leg. See? Totally fine and normal. I'm hoping to send an email out to a few contacts I've got to see if this is a very widespread issue or if maybe I'm just unlucky and get defective units and review devices. Either way, I thought it was worth a mention here.

Have you experienced anything like this on any of your devices with AMOLED displays? I sure haven't, and definitely haven't on any other display technologies, either.

Do any of you even have a Charge? Or is $300 on contract a little too much?

I don't want to ruin anything for my review, but I don't think any phone is worth that much on contract. That's why I stuck with an iPhone 4 instead of the Dell Streak a little less than a year ago.